Anytime,Anywhere, Anyone (Resources) - #SaskTL
Dr. Alec Couros
Websites in Order of Appearance:
- SaskTL - Twitter search.
- About.Me - Alec’s About.Me page (as an example).
- Photo-A-Day Group - 2011/365 Group (mostly educators).
- EC&I 831 - Open graduate course, “social media and open education”.
- The Open Doctrine - My own personal attack ad (video).
- The Digital Native: Myth & Reality - Selwyn (2009)
- Debunking the Digital Native - Brown (2010)
- Visitors & Residents - David White
- Why Youth Heart Social Networks - danah boyd
- Justin Bieber Chrome Ad - Summary of his career growth.
- Maria Aragon - Sings born this way.
- Amanda Hocking - Young fiction writer.
- Connectivism - George Siemens
- Smartphones Surpass Desktops - From Mary Meeker
- Amazon Selling More Kindle Books Thank Print Books - From Amazon
- Creative Commons - Copyleft licensing mechanism & search.
- Sprint’s Now Network - Clever commercial from Sprint.
- Teenagers Living with Social Media - Keynote (video) from danah boyd
- David After the Dentist Description - Wikipedia article.
- Antoine Dodson Description - Wikipedia article.
- Best Job In the World - Top 16 applicants for the Best Job in the World.
- Saskatchewanderer - Saskatchewan’s version of the same contest.
- Saskatchewander Disqualified - From the Leader Post.
- Stephen Downes - Downes’ wise commentary on the Best Job in the World.
- Naheed Nenshi & Social Media - Social Media Analysis of Naheed Nenshi’s campaign.
- Young Me, Now Me - Collaborative photo project.
- Dear Photograph - Collaborative photo project.
- PS22 Chorus - Grade 5 Chorus
- Bow Drill Set - Young person’s networked learning.
- Writing Prompts for Teacher Candidates - Post about a collaborative Google Doc.
- Virtual Choir - Collaborative choir by Eric Whitacre.
- Johnny Cash Project - Collaborative artistic music video.
- Star Wars Uncut - Star Wars redone 15 seconds at a time.
- Khan Academy - Featuring over 2000+ educational videos.
- Thank You For Being a Friend - A tribute for my 40th birthday.
- 21st Century Literacy Framework - From the NCTE
- The Typical Teacher Network - This diagram attempts to visualize the typical network of teachers.
- The Networked Teacher - Increasingly more teachers are developing rich personal learning networks (PLNs) through the use of social media (sometimes called Web 2.0 tools).
- PLE Diagrams - Scott Leslie has compiled comprehensive list of individuals who have visualized their personal learning environme
- What Does the Network Mean to You? - I asked the question of my network, "what does the network mean to you?". As a result, dozens of people responded via Voicethread (through text, audio, video) to explain their thoughts on networked learning and professional development.
- ISTE/NETS Student Standards
- ISTE/NETS Teacher Standards
- NCTE Definition of 21st Century Literacies
- 2011 Horizon Report
Examples and Information About Open Courses
- Social Media & Open Education (#eci831)
- Call for Networked Mentors (#eci831)
- Call for Networked Mentors - Follow-Up (#eci831)
- Personal Learning Environments Networks & Knowledge (PLENK)
- What is a MOOC (video)
- Success in a MOOC (video)
- Knowledge in a MOOC (video)
- Digital Storytelling (#ds106)
- CCK11 - Week 6 Readings
21st Century Learning in Practice (videos):
- Welcome to my PLE (video)Enable screen reader
- Why are some users anonymous? Learn more
- The Networked Student (video))
Communication/Networking Tools & Tutorials
- Twitter for Teachers (list of tweeps in various categories)
- Twitter for Teachers (another wiki with tools & resources)
- Twitter Handbook for Teachers (online document with tools & tips)
- Tweetdeck (most popular Twitter client, software download)
- HootSuite (another Twitter client, web-based)
- MapMyFollowers (easily map the range of your network)
- List of Educational Hashtags (from Cybraryman)
- Wordpress.com (a simple and free, hosted, blogging platform)
- Wordpress.org (where you can get Wordpress software if you want to host it yourself)
- Kidblog.org (Wordpress-based tool for hosting & managing student blogs easily)
- Weebly (easy to use website creator and blogging tool)
- Wix (free and easy, Flash website creator)
- Edmodo (easy but powerful, classroom social networking)
- Wikispaces (one of the most popular wiki tools, adfree for educators)
- PBWorks (another popular wiki tool)
- LinkedIn (important, career-based social networking tool)
- Schoology (free learning management system, course communication/creation tool)
- Posterous (very easy blogging/communication tool)
- Tumblr (media-friendly blog platform)
- Skype (most popular video/audio conferencing tool)
- join.me (video/audio conferencing tool)
- Tokbox (similar to skype but nothing to install, free for videoconferencing)
- Chatzy (free private chat rooms)
- TinyChat (live video chat rooms - beware of some inappropriate content)
- Today’s Meet (easy to setup chat w/ tags)
- WizIQ (virtual classroom for online teaching and learning)
Productivity & Collaboration Tools
- Google (Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Sites, Reader, iGoogle, Trends, Analytics, Adsense, Others)
- Open Office (Free alternatives to Microsoft Office)
- Dropbox (free storage & cloud syncing)
- AirDropper (works w/ Dropbox to extend functionality) - similar, DropItToMe
- The Ultimate Dropbox & Toolkit Guide (great guide with many useful tips)
- Evernote (a great notetaking tool) - EverNote Webclipper add-on recommended
- Delicious (the standard for social bookmarking)
- Diigo (advanced social bookmarking)
- Instapaper (simple tool to save web pages for reading later)
- Scribd (easy document hosting & management tool)
- Learnboost (online grade management tool)
- MapAList (create and manage address-linked maps)
Screencasting, Video, Photos, Audio
- Jing (free software for screencasting and image capture)
- Screenr (free, web-based software for creating screencasts)
- Animoto (easy way to create engaging videos from your imagery)
- Flickr (popular photo-sharing site, great for finding copyleft images)
- Aviary (popular media-editing suite)
- Jaycut (free video editing)
- Handbrake (rip and pull DVDs (Mac)
- KeepVid (download videos from Youtube & other sources)
- Zamzar (online file conversion)
- Lightworks (free video editing software for Windows)
- PhotoStory 3 (story maker for Windows)
- One True Media (create slideshows and share)
- Soundcloud (audio hosting & embedding)
- uStream (free live video streaming)
- LiveStream (another free livestreaming service)
- Blip.fm (social music service)
- GrooveShark (social music service, allows shared playlists)
- fd’s Flickr Toys (number of ‘toys’ for your images)
- Prezi (popular alternative to Powerpoint)
- Slideshare (great way to host slide decks & create screencasts)
- Glogster (alternative presentation format tool)
- 280Slides (similar to Powerpoint, but online)
- SlideRocket (another popular Powerpoint alternative)
- PhotoPeach (easy, sharable slideshows)
- Wordle (easy way to create word clouds)
- Tagul (another way to create word clouds)
- Stupeflix (another slideshow creation tool)
- Dipity (timeline creation tool)
- Voki (creating talking avatars)
- Xtranormal (create movies via text)
- GoAnimate (create cartoons and animations easily)
- Voicethread (create interactive presentations)
- VuVox (create great presentations)
Collaborating Thinking/Writing Tools
- Quora (post questions & answers)
- Dabbleboard (online whiteboard)
- Skrbl (Super-easy whiteboard)
- TypeWithMe (multi-author document creator)
- Mind42 (collaborative mindmapping tool)
- Webspiration (collaborative mind-mapping tool)
- BibMe (online referencing tool)
- EasyBib (another online referencing tool)
- Plagium (plagiarism detection)
- Zotero (great research tool for organization, citation, bibliographies)
- Mendeley (a free reference manager and academic social network)
Polls & Surveys
- Doodle (easy scheduling tool)
- PollEverywhere (polling tool)
- Polldaddy (survey software)
- Google forms (surveys)
- Netvibes (personal, dashboard-like aggregator)
- Symbaloo (another popular dashboard-like aggregator)
- Weblist.me (easy way to quickly share links with visual interface- great for elementary)
- Feedly (Browser plugin to aggregate RSS magazine-style)
- Creative Commons (find & license copyleft material)
- mgur.com (Quick and iEasy Image Hosting site)
- CompFight (interface for Flickr photo search)
- Behold (returns high quality flickr images, pictures “like” search)
- FlickrStorm (another interface for search Flickr)
- MorgueFile (public image archive)
- CCMixter (a community music site)
- Internet Archive (ultimate source for public domain and copyleft media)
- The Open Video Project (community around shared video clips)
- Wylio.com - Free embeddable images with citation
More Resource Lists to Explore