Thursday, January 20, 2011

Creating your own PLN - How can I become a better teacher?

I have spent a lot of time lately taking to fellow teachers about the power of creating your own Personal Learning Network (PLN) and the benefits of having an online PLN through Twitter. Thanks to Richard Byrne at Free Technology for Teachers, I have three embeded items to share with you to help you find other teachers to network with online. I hope you will consider adding me to your PLN when you get started @bobiashj. What are you waiting for?? No time like the present to get started. Don't forget to download Tweetdeck to help manage your tweets. To help you find conversations you might like to follow and contribute to, don't forget to add columns with hashtags (the word with a # sign in front). Here's a list to help you find some topics of interest (List of hashtags from HP Teacher Exchange).

A PLN is a great way to share resources, ask for help or celebrate accompishments. Here are a few things to help you geet started. Thanks Richard Byrne!






2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog post. When I read your post regarding PLNs I just had to add my two cents. My wife and I have worked in K-12 education for over 11 years. My wife is an elementary teacher and I manage the I.T. department. I have noticed that collaborative technologies for education have been very scattered throughout the Internet. There are curriculum / resource sites, people blogging and tweeting everywhere, but finding others to collaborate with has always been somewhat challenging. I'm hoping to change that with a project I've been working on for over a year now called K12Advantage.com. It's a site that encompasses all areas of K12 (Teaching / Curriculum, Facilities, Finance, Administration, Technology) under one umbrella (with their own sub sections). The site also includes a number of collaborative tools including: Forums, Blogs, One on one and group chats (including text, video and audio) with whiteboard, group document and desktop sharing. For convenience, users can subscribe to content through email or RSS. There really are more features than I can post here. I want the site to be driven by people working in K-12 education. Please visit this site as I welcome everyone's feedback and contributions.

    I should also mention the site is totally free.

    K12Advantage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous blog. I love the different links provided and it has been very helpful for me to link more technology into my classroom! I look forward to what will come next.

    ReplyDelete